Tuna Chickpea Salad


 
I 've seen tuna chickpea salad recipes online for years but doubted they could really taste like tuna salad. So I never try any of them but I started to think maybe they could be onto something because I know both my Crabless Cakes (soy free) and Mock Maryland Crab Cakes really do taste like seafood. So when I saw Hot for Food had posted a Tuna Chickpea Salad recipe I just knew I had to give it a try. Conclusion....Yes it really does taste like tuna salad!!!!!!
 
The biggest change I made to their recipe was adding nori seaweed it. I really don't know how it would have tasted like tuna if you don't any seaweed flavour to it. Other changes I made were.... relish instead of dill pickle that's maybe why I needed to use less than they did. I used green onions instead of red onions because raw red onions can be a little strong and upset some peoples stomachs, like my husband. I'm not a huge fan of celery so I would have a lot of unused celery left over since I would only use it for this recipe so I decided to use dry celery seed instead.
 
 
1/3 cup relish
2 Tbsp green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp nori seaweed, ground (use a coffee grinder)*
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning*
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp celery seed
 
1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
 
 
In a medium bowl add all the ingredients (except chickpeas) and mix. Put chickpeas in food processor and pulse a few times. Leave half the chickpeas whole. You can also mash them by hand if you don't have a food processor. Add chickpeas to the rest of the ingredients and stir till well blended. Store in the fridge. I think it tastes best for only 2 days.
 
 
*Or you could use kelp powder instead or nori seaweed. I've been told that kelp powder is stronger than nori seaweed so try 1/4 tsp first. Then taste to see if more is needed.
 
*You can find Old Bay Seasoning at Metro Supermarkets in the live seafood section.