No Soy, No Salt - Soy Sauce



My husband recently has been having problems with high blood pressure. Also, he was having heart arrhythmia symptoms several times a week. After doing some research I realized it was time to reduce the sodium in his diet. Although, I don't feel that diet alone is the only change he needed since we both eat most of the same foods. A regular exercise routine was also needed, which I do. He lead such a sentry lifestyle that I use to think of him as a sloth. Thankfully that has changed and he has started using a treadmill on a regular basis. I'm hoping he will start lifting weights too. Since its so good for bone health. Its estimated that 1 in 6 men get osteoporosis.

I tried 3 other no salt, soy sauce recipes on line before I found this one. It's not as strong tasting as soy sauce but the flavor is pretty darn close.  This gem of a recipe comes from Hacking Salt. I don't like to promote a website that is not vegan but he does have important information on living on a low sodium diet. I also have to give him credit for coming up with such a great recipe!

I have made some changes to his original recipe. I double the recipe. Only use 1/2 the amount of liquid smoke because I felt using more would be too over powering. Added just a little less of the ginger. Of course I did not add the beef stock. You could use vegetable stock if you want to make this a low sodium soy sauce instead of just a no salt one. I left it out because this way I would be able to use as much as I needed without worrying about the salt amount creeping up.


2 large cap Portobello mushroom
or 8 baby bellos, stems and ribs removed, finely chopped
clove garlic, minced

cup water
Tbsp balsamic vinegar 
Tbsp toasted sesame
Tbsp liquid smoke (Wright's brand that is sodium free)
tsp molasses
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

In a medium saucepan or skillet, saute the mushrooms and garlic in the oil over medium high heat for 6 minutes, watch to make sure you don't burn the garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer for 8 minutes then reduce heat to low. With a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms and garlic, and place them into a strainer or cheesecloth, where you can press or squeeze as much juice as possible from the mushrooms and garlic back into the sauce. Increase the heat to medium and allow the sauce to reduce by 1/4 (about another 6 minutes). 

Store in small containers in the freezer. I use 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoon measurements.