Portobello Mushroom Fajitas with Chipotle Mayo













This is my veganized version of Racheal Ray's Skirt Steak Fajitas. There is a video of her making this recipe on her website but you'll have to watch her cooking steak. You'll also have to see the face of one of the biggest traders to the animal rights community....Bob Harper, who became an ex vegan! He became vegan after reading Skinny Bitch and The China Study. He also, became involved with The Farm Sanctuary. His Interview with Farm Sanctuary.

Bob Harper told fitness magazine: "My body went through a major transition, but I can say as a vegan and now 45 years old, I feel better, stronger and cleaner. This diet is a great fit for me."

He later when on to say on the Paleo website: "I ended my vegan diet when it became clear that my performance at the gym was "really lacking''.  I sensed that my body needed animal protein for power and claims feeling better and stronger consuming meat. I switch to a paleo diet and it works for me."

Munching on a animal corpse to feel good, ya that makes sense....NOT! Bottom line is he made up a bunch of excuses to go back to eating animal products after he had some cravings for them.  He really didn't give a crap about animals and that's why he was able to flip.....grrr. Oh and the strongest man on earth, Patrick Baboumian is VEGAN!

A vegan sellout -  those who are aware of the suffering caused by meat, dairy, egg, fur, down and leather production, yet choose to look away while the animals suffer.

Whenever I see Bob Harpers face I lose my (beeping) mind. I just dislike him so much. He is not the only celebrity, vegan sellout unfortunately, there are many. I took his the hardest because I'm into fitness so I workout regularly. I know many people will listen to what a celebrity trainer recommends you eat.

Back To The Recipe.......

Ok I've calmed down now. Time to focus on this yummy dish. I've made 2 major changes to this recipe. First one, was swapping out the steak for portobello mushrooms. The second, was adding chipotle mayo for the sauce instead of using salsa. The chipotle mayo really makes this recipe so don't skip it. I kept the chipotle mayo fairly mild to make it more kid friendly and for those people that don't like spicy food. You can increase the heat of the fajitas with the hot sauce amount. Even though the picture I took of the fajitas shows the corn tortillas with grill marks. I only did that for the picture. Only heat the corn tortillas till they are warm otherwise if you leave them heating for too long then they get hard and tuff to chew. I'm really starting to crave these fajitas as I'm writing about them. 


Marinade:

1 1/4 tsp each: cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano
1 tsp hot sauce (add more if you want it spicy, I use 1 Tbsp)
juice from 1 lime
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Worcestershire (vegan & gluten free)

Other Stuff:

2 cubanelle peppers, 1 red, orange or yellow sweet bell peppers, sliced
1 medium red onion, peeled, cut in large chunks
4 portobello mushrooms, thick sliced

1/4 cup vegetable stock (not needed if you’re doing vegetables on a BBQ)

12 corn tortillas
chipotle mayo, which is 1 cup vegan mayo mixed with 2 tsp chipotle sauce


Preheat a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.

Whisk marinade ingredients together. Put peppers in one bowl and onions in another bowl. Add some of the marinade to both bowls. Save a little of the marinade for mushrooms. Mix with hands to coat vegetables. Cook peppers then return back to bowl. Cook onions then return back to bowl. Deglaze pan with stock. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil; add mushrooms, and brush the marinade left for the mushrooms onto the backs of mushrooms. 

Add peppers and onions to the mushrooms and reheat till warm. Once heated return back a bowl. Add tortillas to frying pan and just leave on the frying pan just long enough warm each side. Once tortillas are warm, spread chipotle sauce on tortilla then add grilled vegetables.

Notes....

You can also grill the veggies on a barbeque. You won't need the 1/4 cup vegetable stock if you're doing them on the barbeque.