Roasted Red Pepper Black-Eyed Pea Salad



I love the convenience of this salad. Sometimes finding a vegan meal for a celiac can be challenging when travelling, but not anymore! This dish is GREAT for traveling with since it's quick to make, filling and it can go a long time without needing to be refrigerated. I'm looking forward to bring it to the next potluck I go to.

This recipe comes from The Sweetest Vegan. I just recently discovered her videos. I love watching her videos because she is just so adorable. I made 3 of her recipes so far and everyone has been tasted great and easy to make...

The only changes I made from her original recipe was that I added roasted red peppers instead of the pimentos (I've read it's a good substitute for pimentos). I never add the fire roasted tomatoes because my supermarket doesn’t them. I feel it even gets better the longer you let the flavours marinade together. Make it the day before and let it sit in the fridge over night if you can.


2 15 ounces cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped 
1/4 cup light tasting olive oil
1/4 cup fresh chives or green onions, chopped
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp dried parsley or cilantro (I never added either)
1/2 tsp hot pepper, minced, Sriracha sauce or hot pepper flakes (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix.