Hoppin John with Red Hot Tahini


I wanted to wait to post this recipe until I had taken a more appetizing picture but I just don't think I can wait any longer to share it with you. I also, have friends that have tried it and they want me to send them the recipe so I'd like to just send them the link.

I have been seriously addicted to this ever since I tried it. In fact, the morning after I had it the first thing I thought of when I woke up was I can't wait to eat the leftover Hoppin John for lunch.

What's not to love.... it's super healthy, quick to make, great to bring to potlucks because it doesn't contain the common ingredients that people have allergies with. Made with ingredients most vegans always have in there house.

My contribution to this recipe is that I made it more faster to make because when I want my Hoppin John I don't want to wait for long! I also added 1/4 cup more water to the sauce and stopped adding the garlic clove. I make a large amount of rice ahead of time and freeze it so I always have some on hand. I'm addicted to the sauce and when you look at the ingredients you will say the same thing as me...."Why didn't I think of that". I have already made some new recipes using just the Red Hot Tahini sauce which I will definitely share with you in the future.  Hey lots of times I don't even bother adding the tomatoes and onions...It's great just with the rice, beans and sauce!

This recipe comes from Isa Chandra. Make sure to see her picture of this recipe it's so much nicer than my plain one.  I really want you to get inspired so you will try this one.


Hoppin’ John:
 
1 (19 oz) can of black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 tsp hickory liquid smoke or 1 tsp mesquite liquid smoke

In a bowl with a lid add the black eyed peas and liquid smoke and mix well then put aside.


Red Hot Tahini:

1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce (like Frank’s red hot NOT Sriracha hot sauce)*
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
 
(certified gluten-free)

Blend everything up in blender until smooth.  


Tomatoes and Onions:

2 cups tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
several dashes fresh black pepper, to taste
dash of salt
 


Toss tomatoes and green onions with red wine vinegar in a bowl.

Also:)  

6 cups cooked rice for serving (I used red rice mixed with brown rice)

To Assemble: 
 
Place rice on place. Add some black-eyed peas. Heat rice and beans then drizzle with some sauce (you will probably will have left over sauce) Top with the tomatoes and onions. Serve 6 


* I was out of Frank’s red hot sauce when I was making this recipe one time so I substituted it with Sriracha hot sauce. It made the sauce that I'm in love with not taste very good. Stick with Louisiana style hot sauce for best results.