November 22, 2010

Most People Don't Even Show Symptoms Of Celiac Disease Even While It Destroys Their Intestinal Lining...

 

For 3 years I suffered with back and rib pain till it became chronic pain. I also developed acid reflex problems. I had every test done they found an unexplained fractured bone in my chest and bruised ribs they could not figure out what caused that or what was causing my pain. The pain just never seemed to go away. I was taking all kinds of things for pain and over time nothing worked. I was even at the hospital and got a needle in my back with Demerol to relieve my pain they also gave me Demerol for me to take when I was at home. I usually took Tylenol 3 with codeine. I had such extreme fatigue to the point where I would have to have a chair beside me when I would be in the kitchen cooking or wash dishes and have to sit down and rest every 15 minutes. My knees had become so painful that over time I would find myself unable to get out of bed. I just simply could not stand on my legs. Finally when I developed malnutrition and went down to 96 pounds I was tested for celiac disease. Which tested positive.

I found an article in Prevention Magazine called 7 Diseases Doctors Miss and one of them was celiac disease.....celiac disease, a genetic inability to digest gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Gluten damages the lining of the small intestine, making it difficult to absorb nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, folic acid and iron, Left untreated the disease causes osteoporosis, enema, infertile, miscarriages and lymphoma. Mostly, celiac disease is left untreated. It takes, on average 11 years to diagnose. In many cases, a person is symptom free even while the illness destroys the intestinal lining. The article does not mention gastric problems but this is common for people with celiac disease. 

I now have osteopenia and I suffered from severe anemia for many, many years. My doctor never believed me when I told her I was taking the iron supplements she told me to take because my iron count just never improved. 

The pain in my ribs, back and knees have now gone way along with my reflex problem once I stopped eating products with gluten. I have found out that the celiac disease was causing arthritis pain in my knees but its not a common symptom of celiac disease. Could you have celiac disease and not even know it?

2 comments:

Sheep said...

Wow, I'm glad I found your site. I just found out I have celiac as well. And I'm a vegan. I'm looking forward to trying out your recipes. :)

Complexnatural said...

Great post. My son has been diagnosed with celiac (I have known he has had it since birth) but in researching it, I found that celiac can cause joint pain. I have gone on a gluten free diet and wow, the pain has gone away, as well as sinus problems and acid reflux. My husband is eating gluten free because we are and his asthma has completely gone away.

Post a Comment