April 14, 2010

Bob Green’s No Cheese Lasagna

 
 
This is so good and its made with nuts not soy. The only negative is that nuts aren’t cheap so look for those sales and stock up. You can keep your nuts fresh, longer by storing them in your freezer. Here is Bob Greens recipe..

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/bob-greenes-no-cheese-vegetable-lasagna/

*Below is my version of Bob Green’s recipe …..

Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp garlic, minced
fresh basil leaves, to taste, optional
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup water


1 cup Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
(the kind with onions, herbs and spices)
6 brown rice lasagna noodles (cooked till almost tender)
3 cups spinach, washed thoroughly
2 cups fresh tomatoes sliced, then cut into quarters


Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a 9–inch square or a 10 X 8 pan with cooking spray. Combine the almonds, walnuts, onion, garlic, basil, nutmeg, salt, pepper and water in a food processor or blender and process until smooth about 1 minute.

Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce on bottom of the pan. Cover pan with 2 of the noodles, spinach, tomatoes and nut mixture. Repeat the layers again (last layer the nut mixture) and transfer to oven for 20 minutes then pull lasagna out from the oven and brush on some of the remaining tomato sauce over the outer layers of the lasagna noodles. Otherwise I find that the edges get dried out. Cook for 20 minutes more or until top gets lightly brown. Before serving re-apply more tomato sauce around the edges and some over top (according to taste) and add freshly ground pepper on top. Serves 4




* Why I made so many changes to the original recipe:

I could not find no cook lasagna noodles so I just used regular ones and cooked them.

I used a smaller amount of onion. I love onions but his amount just sounded like too much.

Not into having too much basil. I think one cup of fresh basil like he uses would over power the whole dish. I did not add the basil instead I used Hunt’s tomato sauce the kind with onion, herbs and spices. It had just enough added herbs for me.

Instead of using 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom and 3 on top I decided to use only 2 lasagna noodles on the bottom and 2 on top so I would have more nut mixture to make a more cheesier lasagna.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment